Monday, July 21, 2008

Viola!!! - we finally got the damn chickens


Anyone who has had fresh free range chickens knows that there is no better taste. I have been trying to stay away from hormone injected food, thus not buying chickens in the supermarket and going organic which can be quite expensive. My sister, Diane, who lives in Pendleton, Indiana raises chickens every year so I had the bright idea of ordering 10 from her. I didn't really think of how we were going to get them down to Atlanta. So after many phone calls between the two of us, trying to figure out if we could ship them through Fed Ex (about $400) or what to do, she just stuck them in her freezer until I could get up to Indiana to get them. So, finally, this weekend, after helping mom and dad move, we packed up a cooler and a huge box of 10 freakin' chickens and put ice on them for the 9 hour drive back to Atlanta. BTW, she didn't say they were mutant chickens and were gigantic! These chickens must be at least 12-15 pounds! This Saturday, we're having fried chicken, mashed potatos and gravy and I can't wait! Note to self, find a local farmer who raises chickens!

No comments:

Facebook

Sharon Mckinley's Facebook profile