Friday, May 9, 2008

Do I LOOK like an information booth?

I must look the type of person that knows it all (well, I know that IS true) but anyway, it never fails, if I am out on the street, stopped at a stoplight, or walking the dog, everyone seems to ask me for directions, or where something is. Case in point, I'm standing waiting to cross the street and someone asks me where The Varsity is - the Varsity is a landmark in Atlanta that serves THE best chili dogs. It's been around forever, it's like Dog 'n Suds in Lafayette. It's right on West Peachtree near Georgia Tech and is packed every day with bus loads of school children taking field trips. Someone then asks me where Benihana's is. The good thing about Atlanta most everything is either on Peachtree Street or West Peachtree Street so it's very hard NOT to find something.

Then, two nights ago, I'm stopped at the stop light, it's 8:30 at night and everyone knows in Atlanta you don't roll your window down at night when stopped at a stop light for anything but, the car next to me motioned to me and they looked like a nice couple, so I rolled down my window. They were from Alabama and in Atlanta for the night and wanted to know where a good place was to get Gumbo. I apologized and said I didn't know but as I rolled up the window I'm thinking - I'm a white girl from Indiana - do I LOOK like I would know where a good place in the south would be to get Gumbo? I just had to laugh, of all the people they could have asked! Although, I LOVE shrimp gumbo. I wonder if they ever found a place?

No comments:

Facebook

Sharon Mckinley's Facebook profile