Wednesday, May 7, 2008

6 degrees of separation

or in this case, 1 degree of separation. So as many of you know, I was temping at a law firm for which now I am a permanent employee. The attorneys I work for now are not the same one I had been temping for. The attorney I temped for was so freakin' weird. To give you an example, one day I was two-hole punching so I could catch up on the filing left by the previous secretary and the attorney called me on the phone (mind you, I sit right outside his office but his door was shut) at this time and asked me not to two-hole punch so loud because the noise bothered him (again, his door was shut). I nearly fell off my chair laughing (to myself), but I obliged. As I was telling the secretary that sat next to me about my conversation, she informed me that he is notorious for telling his secretaries that they are either talking too loud on purpose, stapling too loud, typing too loud, or being too loud in general, so this has been a source of jokes around the office. She also said that sometimes he wears these big headphones that help with noise reduction. I told the secretary that he needed to get some help.

So, you would think with Atlanta having over 4 million people with 425,000 living in the city, you wouldn't run in to too many people you know - My sister and I went to an event Westlaw was having for the attorneys in Atlanta at the Braves game last night. I scored two tickets from the firm. As we are sitting there feasting on the free buffet and free beer in the 755 Club, she looks at me and whispers, OMG, remember the guy I went to lunch with about a year and a half ago and I told you that he had NO personality and talking to him was like pulling teeth, and before she could finish, I said no freakin' way - that is the attorney I had been temping for for the last 8 weeks - the guy with the noise issues. She freaked out - at that time, the attorney looked at her and said, "Hello Carol". I nearly fell off my chair. I said I can't believe he remembered your name - you must have really made an impact on him. Needless to say, Carol was dying from embarrassment - she's like, I can't believe that is the same guy you had been working with - the guy with the noise issues. We laughed all night about it. It made for a fun night - I told Carol that he was still single if she wanted to go for it!

What makes this even more bizarre is that earlier in the evening, I introduced Carol to another attorney from our firm and he said that he had met her before - at a mutual friend's house warming party.

Atlanta has a lot of people, but in the city of Atlanta itself, everybody knows everybody!

1 comment:

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

WTF, when I first met you I was afraid to make eye contact with you...whats changed, you finally showing whats really underneath that hard exterior of yours???? (:

Facebook

Sharon Mckinley's Facebook profile