
The folks were in town over the weekend on their way back to Indiana. They spent a few weeks in Florida. We spent Saturday doing the cultural thing. Our first stop was at the High Museum, The Emperor of China's Terra Cotta Army. I was a little disappointed because when you look at the massive amounts of statues that were uncovered (see photo above), I expected there to be a lot more. There were six soldiers representing the different rank of soldier. This picture below is one of them we saw. It was really cool though to see the armour all made out of stone and the life-size soldiers. It was more amazing that this all took place nearly 4000 years ago.
We then headed over to the Atlanta Civic Center for the King Tut exhibit. Mom and Carol had been to the original exhibit in Chicago when it was there in 1978. I was a little disappointed with this exhibit too as were Mom and Carol. There were a lot of Egyptian artifacts but only a handful from King Tut's tomb. There was no sarcophagus or his mummy. There were little trinkets, a lot of beaded jewelry, but not a lot of gold. I guess the highlight was King Tut's solid gold sandals. We asked one of the workers who said the Egyptian Curators rarely let any of the artifacts out of Cairo because of security and fragility of the items. We decided we'll just have to take a trip to Egypt to see all the rest of the exhibit. Sounds good to me. The five-ton, 25-foot tall statue of Anubis is at the intersection of Peachtree Street and 13th Street in Midtown - just one block over from Carol's Condo. It's huge and pretty cool to be in Midtown. I guess I'll have to put Egypt on my list of trips to go!
Tutankhamun possessed four miniature gold coffins inlaid with colored glass and semi-precious stones. Each stood in a separate compartment in an alabaster chest. The band of inscription running down the front names Imseti, one of the sons of Horus, and the goddess Isis, who would protect the deceased and the particular mummified organ within. The cartouche encircling the king's name on the interior was reworked and originally had the name of one of Tutankhamun's relatives.







No comments:
Post a Comment