
Today I am paying a special tribute to my Grandma. She is 96 and lived on her own up until last week when her back collapsed. She could discuss politics (usually a subject none of us wanted to bring up), daily affairs and middle east conflict. Her mind was as sharp as a tack. She is now in the nursing home and in excruciating pain. They have her on a constant morphine drip and things do not look good. She is also on a DNR with no food or water. The doctors say it is only a matter of time. It's hard to put into words what my grandma has done for me over the last 47 years. She has always been there for me and she especially was there for Christopher. I got my strength, my humor, my love, my everything from her. She dressed hip and she was the coolest grandma. Her nickname for me when I was a teenager was Brownberry because I would get so tan in the summer. Up until I moved to Atlanta, I would see her every weekend when I would go to my parent's campground. We would have breakfast together, usually Raisin Bran and toast. She made the best toast! Christopher was her favorite. (but don't tell the other grand kids and great grand kids). When he was little he would always run up to her house yelling "Nanny Werner, Nanny Werner, my mommy is being mean to me." Of course, grandma could always make him feel better. This is a very tough time for Christopher right now as they are very close. She started a family that has grown to be 100+ strong and for that, she should be very proud. As I closed my eyes to pray the other night, I saw a vivid image of two angels carrying her up toward heaven. I wept and knew, that no matter what, God will take care of her and she will be in heaven looking down on us smiling. Grandma, I will miss you always. I love you. You are my grandma, my hero!





1 comment:
My thoughts and prayers are w/you Miss Sharon!
Post a Comment