Thursday, August 12, 2010

Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia



It's not exactly what I wanted to hear but at least they figured out why I have been so sick for the last two months and why my white blood cell count was so high. Two weeks ago, I underwent a bone marrow biopsy and bone aspiration. That was quite an adventure. You are fully awake and only the back side of your hip is numbed with a ginormous needle, then they put this bigger needle in you to extract the marrow and try to get a chip of bone. Only my bones were so hard, they were unable to get a chip of bone so they had to settle for just the marrow to do tests. They were able to get what they needed from the marrow and I found out on Tuesday, August 10 that I have Chronic Myelogenous (or Myeloid) Leukemia. CML is an uncommon type of leukemia. My doctor (in Atlanta where there are over 500,000 people) said I was only her 5th patient diagnosed with CML. So where do I go from here. I start chemotherapy medication that I will need to take for the rest of my life. I have started researching different foods so I will be changing eating habits. The prognosis is good and my doctor (who is the best) says it is very unlikely that it will progress into acute leukemia as long as I take this medication. I have to say my doctor is awesome and has really explained everything to me. The other part of my diagnosis is Iron Deficiency Anemia - I have no iron supply reserves in my bone marrow. Next Tuesday I go in for an IV Iron Infusion and then I'll need another bone marrow biopsy to make sure that it has worked. If not, I will need to have another IV Iron Infusion and so on. Here is a link to some more information on CML.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chronic-myelogenous-leukemia/DS00564
I'm pretty optimistic of the outcome and am thankful it's treatable and not terminal. It just means that I have to live even harder and to the fullest - more so than I already have! I see more trips in my future!

No comments:

Facebook

Sharon Mckinley's Facebook profile